Love on a Leash
Therapy Dog Program
Love On a Leash (LOL) is a volunteer therapy dog outreach ministry of St. Andrew's Episcopal Church. LOL offers free guidance and instruction in therapy dog volunteering as established by the national registry group Alliance of Therapy Dogs (ATD), formerly Therapy Dogs Inc.
Friendly, healthy and loveable dogs who are at least one year of age and have basic manners and skills are eligible to join LOL providing their owners agree to follow the guidelines outlined by ATD.
We do not require our teams to register with ATD, but some LOL clients require registered teams. LOL offers ATD examination for registration.
LOL offers its volunteers an online network of visitation opportunities which in turn allows us to provide a coordinated and dependable schedule of visitation to our clients.
Our 25 therapy dogs and their owners, who are known as teams, logged an amazing 442 visits in our first year.
Our LOL clients:
Love On a Leash
We are looking for loveable dogs with basic leash and manner skills and owners who have time during the day to spend with people in need of a soft, furry friend. Send e-mail, including a cell phone number and a brief description of your dog to:
Mandatory Requirements For Participation:
1) Orientation & evaluation.
2) Trainee must observe a visit without their dog. They will receive commentary, advice, explanations.
3) Trainee must attend a second group class; a wheelchair is present, kids are present, treats are present. Trainees must demonstrate walking past each other, kids, treats while on loose leash using “leave it” and “watch me”.
4) Trainee will select multiple visits with their dog as a team where they will be observed.
5) Trainee becomes eligible for Sign-Up Genius and non-registered activities. Registration potential reviewed.
If you are interested in scheduling visits or obtaining more information about training for this program please contact us.
Contact: Debbie Lindley (405) 372-3357