1892 – 1927
The history of St. Andrew’s Church runs parallel to our communal and educational past, providing a spiritual “third link” that gives St. Andrews a special feel and special charge to minister to all. In January, 1892, missionary priest Reverend Charles Tyler arrived from Guthrie, the town that briefly became Oklahoma’s first capitol. He found nine communicants: one acting as lay-reader and another in charge of the music. By March of that year, lots were secured for a church, and a small building was constructed in 1893.
In 1919, lots were purchased for the present location of St. Andrews at 3rd and Knoblock Streets, (now just one block from the southeast corner of the OSU campus), and a few years later the original building, 24 feet by 40 feet, which had been constructed by Rev. Tyler, was moved to this new site. To this building a chancel, additional space for a choir, rooms for a Church School, and a Vicarage were added. The exterior of the building was changed to Tudor style by adding ecclesiastical windows and a stone and stucco facing.
The purchase of the lots and improvements of the building were made possible by Sarah E. Olden. She and then Bishop Brooke had a vision of a thriving Episcopal church in Stillwater community, made up of residents and college students. Ms. Olden eventually moved on to Princeton, New Jersey (it’s interesting to note that OSU was called “The Princeton of the Plains” for much of its history, and both schools shared colors orange and black and for a while a common mascot, the tiger.). Although absent, she contributed a significant amount of money to St. Andrews that helped it survive difficult times, and her concern for stewardship is reflected in the current positive atmosphere for giving outside church bounds, and within for church stability.
1928 – 1952
In 1928, the Rev. Alvin S. Hock and his family came to Stillwater from Iowa. He served as Vicar until 1948 and will be remembered both for his long service (a trend that was to continue throughout the last half of the twentieth and first decade of the 21st century), and for his active participation in community and college life. Fr. Hock was popular with all Stillwater residents, and from his retirement until his death he maintained a chapel at his residence.
In 1949, when the Rev. A. J. Ettling and family came to St. Andrews, the old rectory was converted to an office and additional church school rooms, allowing for significant growth of the church.